Become a Freelancer!

Welcome to the number one community for Anthem players

To PvP or to not PvP?

Discussion in 'General Discussion & Speculation' started by Matthew, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Matthew

Administrator

So lets discuss whether or not there should be PvP in Anthem. They've already indicated that there will be some type of live-service aspect to this game. To what degree, we don't know yet. It could be like The Division (probably not though), co-op functionality (i'm leaning towards this), or some separate PvP aspect.

I'm pretty sure that there will be some type of co-op functionality where a player can drop in and go through the story quests together. We've seen some hints at how massive the world will be. Considering that I wouldn't be surprised if it's more like an MMO. After all, Bioware did make the popular MMO, Star Wars: The Old Republic.

I also think it could be fun if there was a separate PvP aspect to Anthem. I've seen the gameplay with how the jetpacks operate and the fact that you can explore underwater. That could make for some very fun pvp gameplay.

• Like Like x 1
    • Carlo

Writer

The Division had this PvEvP thing going on via the Dead Zone. I didn't think it work as well as they thought it would and so did many others. First person shooters that try to add an open world environment seem to have trouble with an engaging story. Destiny had that problem also. A developer will have trouble with trying to fill two glasses at the same time. More often the story element ala RPG loses. Pvp will cost a developer a lot of resources to keep it fresh. This BioWear team may take this into consideration. A co-op is already there with squad mates and possibility of meeting other players in the Hub or in the field. One thing is that this team is strong in story content and that is good for a RPG.

• Matthew

Administrator

I agree that Bioware is strong when it comes to developing stories. Considering that, I think it's safe to say (hopefully :p) that they can bring the best of both worlds to the table: a compelling story, with an engaging and interactive PvP element.

• Like Like x 1
      • Carlo

Writer

The key phase "a compelling story, with an engaging and interactive PvP element" would be something to pull off. If they go down this path let's hope to do..

• Like Like x 1
        • Matthew

Administrator

Indeed it would be (something to pull off). If they can, it would make other game developers follow suit. Lets hope they do pull it off.

• Carlo

Writer

They did extend the release date to 2018. More time to perfect the difficulty of PvE and PvP in the same world?

• Matthew

Administrator

Well we can't know for certain what they plan to do with the extra time. But whenever game developers extend release dates it means that they care about their game and are willing to take the extra time to make sure it comes out right. :)

• Carlo

Writer

First impressions can make or break a game out of the box. Let's hope they don't open it until it's done. What was that, 450 degrees for 45 minutes. Yes that should do it. :)

• Like Like x 1
          • Rykroft

Rykroft Active Member

Well I'm a hardcore PvE player, and what they show in the trailer was enough for me, but it would be great if the game incorporate some PvP element.

• Matthew

Administrator

Yeah I'm more a PvE player myself, but I enjoy PvP every now and then. I hope they find a way to include PvP in a meaningful way.