• Welcome to Anthem Hub - the number one community for Anthem players worldwide. Join us today and become a freelancer. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate by creating your own discussions and messages, as well as connect with other freelancers!

The Temptation for Monetization!

The Temptation for Monetization!
Mark Darrah has been very outspoken about no loot boxes, content locked behind paywalls, and that you can only buy cosmetic items but you can earn them in-game also. There will be no season-pass, and a dlc may or may not have a cost (depending of size if that). BioWare is aware of the positive response from the community about this decision, and we should all be aware of how much blood they had to give EA for that decision. I'm hoping that this decision continues through Anthem’s life cycle. There are always new and clever ways to monetize a game for the corporate spreadsheet, like XP boost. EA no doubt has and will watch what other developers are doing to capture more revenue from players. If Anthem is a success, a huge success, or game of the year time will tell. If this is the case BioWare has the opportunity to turn the corner on a failure in the past, and establish themselves as a developer for the gaming community with great games. Again! This would garnish them an even larger fan base and increase their profit margin, and may prove something to EA. BioWare needs to be as transparent as they have been in the future about any thought of monetization so the community has a chance to respond. I rather be vocal about the thought of some type of Monetization of Anthem than pissed off that they implemented a shady scheme. Best practice don't do it! BioWare has the great opportunity to achieve something no other developer has accomplished, a shared world with a great story, without corporate greed. Others have produced a great game without monetizing it, stay among the elite!

Currently, I can see diferent patways regarding Anthem future and monetization, I tend to believe in those with a "Happy Ending", but everytime I remember that, we are talking about EA, I have to give more "statistic weigh" to those in which, is the final revenue, the central force of the equation.

Having said that, these are "some" of those futures.

1 - The game is great, a lot of people play it, you only have vanity MTX, that you can also adquire by playing. The amount of money EA makes with the game is similar to other games, like Warframe. (everyone wish)

2 - Same as 1 but, EA (moved by greedy) introduce an hostile "live service", the player base decreases and, as a result, the final revenue is to small to maintain the game. EA close the game and Bioware in 2 years.

3 - The game fail post launch, from the begining is unappealing, it becomes Free To Play in 6 month (like SWTOR) and EA put it on autopilot.

Undoubtly, you have more posibilities, but I think that the line betwen succes an failure, sometimes is very thin and fragile. And EA urgent need for money can break even the stronger one.

Pd: Sorry for the grammar, I'm on mobile, I will check at night.

My Concerns
@Martin - I can definitely see your three(3) options being on the table for EA as a course of action in dealing with Anthem and in turn BioWare. EA could give a merda about BioWare, Anthem, or the gaming community, this is about selling a product and profit and loss!
Let's say Anthem is at-or-above target for “Legion of Dawn” edition sales, and standard pre-orders are the same. First quarter after launch Anthem is within the range of the financial model projected by EA. EA now looks at what quarter to launch pvp, based on their business model. Anthem as a live service has what EA is Really looking for, the competitive gamer. Monetization is the home for competitive play, and EA will use pvp to exploit their monetized schemes. Pvp may not affect Anthem in the beginning, but once you go down that rabbit hole greed takes over, and the game, studio and eventually the gaming community will suffer. Look what EA has done to their other titles when it comes to pvp and monetization. Pvp will not be in Anthem at launch, but it may be a matter of time for EA to trigger their deal with BioWare for pvp.
That's my real concern.

It is true, PvP and microtransaction get along, quite well. And, as a PvE only player the future you are describing is pretty dark, at least for my personal experience.
In any case, I only expect a year of enjoyment, before "Anthem's darkness" arrive....

Pd: Even though, I still see the "Legion of Dawn" edition with interest..... a lot of interest.....

Cargan

I can see the 2nd option being ea's main goal given their track history. but can hope that they are little more cautious given the hot water they got in over the lootboxes. my only concern is that they will go back towards beeing the old moneyhungry greedy Ea while everyone focused on the fiasco that was fallout 76.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)