Become a Freelancer!

Welcome to the number one community for Anthem players

Story Theories

Discussion in 'General Discussion & Speculation' started by Matthew, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Matthew

Administrator

Lets discuss theories on what the story might be. First we should go over what we know.

What we know so far:
    • We live in a post-apocalyptic world
    • Some civilization (we don't know if it's all of humanity) lives inside a wall that protects them.
    • Outside those walls is a world filled with dangerous creatures
    • We are called Freelancers, who take on work for payment.
    So those are the basics.

How did the world get like this? Maybe a virus wiped most of mankind out and normal creatures evolved into large, terrifying creatures. Or maybe a virus made the creatures mutate and forced mankind to retreat into the so called Hub / wall-protected area.

The technology (exosuits, etc) is fairly advanced, so I'm assuming all this happened in the future. During the gameplay video we didn't see any standing standing structures from the old world, which is interesting.

Anyone else have some thoughts/theories?

• Like Like x 1
    • Carlo

Writer

In this image from the gameplay trailer we see two different architectural styles. Stone and mortar in the left side of the image and the round circular metal structure that we see in the beginning of gameplay. The former has that ancient world look and vibe, a pre-existing society. The later is a overlay of a newer technology, that seems to have been pushed back behind the wall that we find ourselves in. We may have come to this planet to explore, harvest resources or to colonize. It would seem that the environment fought back. The ruins may be our past as the modern architecture is represent where we are now. But maybe the ruins are a lost or dead civilization that the environment reclaimed. Something is afoot my dear Watson..:)

image.jpeg

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
      • Matthew

Administrator

I take back what I said about not seeing any standing structures. Don't know why I didn't see those. :oops:

• Carlo

Writer

You gave me another one of those moments, wait didn't I see some ruins... Thank you. You made my day..:laugh:

• Like Like x 1
        • Matthew

Administrator

It would be interesting we abandoned Earth for a new planet and had to build the Hub to protect ourselves from the outside environment.

• Carlo

Writer

I agree that we came here from earth and that we survive behind the Wall. But consider this, we haven't seen anything that would suggest off world travel. Meaning, we may be stranded here in some form. It looks like the architecture that we built is all but in ruins except for what is behind the wall where we find ourselves. What's the story here. Interesting teaser BioWear has presented.

• Matthew

Administrator

True. I don't think that's likely to be the story, but I just thought it would be interesting.

• Carlo

Writer

Official EA Anthem site:
          "Your power grows with every step into the unknown. Whether plunder, revenge, or glory lures you onward, your choices will irrevocably change you—and the world around you"

Revenge, an interesting word or concept for a story. Plunder, glory is common is a game. But revenge denotes a story, and with a great writer that's back with EA, we may have another story driven world like Mass Effect.

• Matthew

Administrator

I like how it says that your choices will change you. I think this hints that choices you make change the story. The is famous in Bioware games.

• Carlo

Writer

"And the world around you", this suggest we may have an effect on the world. A persistent world, if BioWare can pull off a changing environment, even limited. That would be an eye opener. With a strong story, compelling lore this could become their next franchise in the making. Oh let's hope.

• Matthew

Administrator

A changing environment would be very exciting. No two worlds alike. That might make walkthrough's difficult.