Become a Freelancer!

Welcome to the number one community for Anthem players

"Open world" : Skepticism

Discussion in 'General Discussion & Speculation' started by JUNEBUG, Jul 1, 2017.

1. JUNEBUG

JUNEBUG Member

a68.media.tumblr.com_2241e0bfb336904d5beab55e5f8786a7_tumblr_ori1c2NZsm1rczitwo1_1280.png
    Firstly, I love the idea of this game, would not be here if I thought other wise.
    That being said, I am NOT bashing them in anyway.

I fully intend to support this game, provide for this community, etc.

Now. How much of Anthem will ACTUALLY be opened world. Actually, no, that's the wrong thing to ask.

Firstly, we have to get rid of this horrible "opened world" definitions such as: Destiny as a primary example. I do not mean that. That's not opened world.

I mean, WE mean as a community a true opened world game.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I ask this because, Corey Gaspur; someone who is currently working on Anthem asked on Twitter what we would like to see in Anthem. Naturally, a lot of people said: "True story, real single player experience, classic romances, etc."

I said..."A true opened world game...no loading segments, no Destiny, no tricks."

Now, that brings me to the thread topic (sorry for being so informational)

How much of this game is really opened world and have playable space and not just "beautiful tricky skyboxes" just from what we've seen in the game demo and in this screenshot in particular:

awww.battlefieldseries.de_wp_content_uploads_2017_06_Anthem_wallpaper_2.jpg

#1 JUNEBUG, Jul 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2017
  2. Matthew

Administrator

I personally don't think it will be a true open world. It's already confirmed that it will be a shared world among players. That can be difficult to pull off without loading screens.

3. JUNEBUG

JUNEBUG Member

Hm, it can be pulled off. Difficult is not impossible. I'm fine with it being a few loading screens, but not every corner you turn. There will obviously be some though.

4. Matthew

Administrator

Yeah but you have to balance performance. I think it'll be a loading screen every major zone.

5. JUNEBUG

JUNEBUG Member

That's fine, just don't take us out of the game experience. I do believe in the power of the consoles though. It comes out 2018 but I believe it'll be pushed to 2019 mid and maybe a PS5 by then or 2020.

• Like Like x 1
    • Matthew

Administrator

True, console power has come a long way. I do hope they can pull off a true open world. One where we can cross borders and enter buildings, all without a loading screen.

• Like Like x 1
      • JUNEBUG

JUNEBUG Member

Yess! I'm optimistic because they have the edge on Destiny and The Division (never played the Division so if I'm wrong correct me)
        Destiny 2 releases this year, correct?
        Anthem releases late 2018

They already been working on it for 4 years (really 5 counting next year) and they are asking fans what they would like to see in Anthem. There's enough time, definitely enough money, and power.

They can easily avoid all the faults Bungie/Destiny made and I hope they seriously done their homework on those two games and their mistakes :) I trust them enough.

• Dzzel

Dzzel New Member

+5
        It will be open World to a extend... like the first zone where your main hub(starting town) is... will be in the first zone and will have no load screen..for 1-4 payer get a map of 3-6km , because is not a MMO the shares on the sever wouldn't need to have a limit the zone size to compensated for the 200+ players in that zone( to lower stress ect)... loading screen will be at check point to go to a other zone or entering a special mission area.

-edit 3/7/17 : this post is a theoretical idea how the map would work

#8 Dzzel, Jul 2, 2017
        Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
        • Like Like x 1
        • Matthew

Administrator

Do you have a source for this?

• Dzzel

Dzzel New Member

+5
          im theorizing here man :D

that would work for the game, i mean.. if its not i assume that there will be alot of invisible walls around

#10 Dzzel, Jul 3, 2017
          Last edited: Jul 3, 2017
        • BinaryNumb

Administrator

Open world is going to be an interesting question to answer at this stage. Given that our Javelins have the ability to fly, this posses a big question around Map size. Given that flying will always be the quickest mode of transportation it will also be the biggest challenge to keep that feeling of an expansive world.

MMOs have had large scale maps for years with 200+ gamers on, if you have played one and gone to a populated area the netcode just goes mental and frames, character movement falls through the floor. Given that this will be a console game as well this will surely be taken into account. You could even argue that the amount of players on a server will be dropped to a more reasonable scale maybe 50. Based on Netcode we have seen in other games the ability to migrate/phase across servers to server certain areas is well within capability. Even more so since this will only be on current gen. The question i thin k we all need to ask is, will it be a MMO-Lite style games like Destiny or The Division, or are they attempting a full MMORPG?

• Like Like x 2
          • Matthew

Administrator

It will be interesting to see what they choose. We know that Anthem will be available on PC as well PS4 and Xbox One. They could go for the full MMORPG experience on PC. The problem is the limitations imposed by the consoles. They might want to unify the the experience on all platforms, and utilize the same limitations imposed by consoles. I hope they find a way to include a full MMORPG experience on all platforms.

• Like Like x 1
            • Dzzel

Dzzel New Member

+5
              "Given that our Javelins have the ability to fly"

here's the thing....

if you watch the video close you will see that you don't realy fly but Glide forward and you keep losing highed
              like when you use your jump-jets it like push you up and you will glide in a line then slowy lose altitude.

but it could be a thing of the demo i don't know. i need more info about how mobile you can be when in the air.

( the end product can be totally different from what we did see too, just remember pass E3 )

• Carlo

Writer

Destiny had a limited number of players in any given instance. Give that Anthem will also be on a console I would image something similar. Running across other Squads or individuals in the Wilds will be fun, but mobs can ruin the experience. It seems that the MMORPG on the past shooters have been more of a hybrid, which makes sense. Since Anthem is going to be a Shared World RPG BioWare will want to strike some balance. Server stability and for a population of Freelancers exploring the wilds would have to stay within the concept of humanity is on its heels. We have to consider the storyline and lore about humanity and this world in order to appreciate how populated it will be. Limited players in any given instance will be balanced with server, frame rate and graphics for a smooth gameplay. I would trade off any day.

• JUNEBUG

JUNEBUG Member

Lol the Flight vs Glide wars!

• Rykroft

Rykroft Active Member

Bingo, that the problem, the amount of player the game could load in a given time. There are a few things that you can improve though, like dedicate servers (Destiny 1 and 2 use peer-to-peer connections) so we can avoid all those connection problems.

Regarding the size of the map...mmmm actually in Destiny you do have several maps and you can travel among them without loadings screen, for example in Cosmodrome:

astatic.gosunoob.com_img_1_2014_12_Hand_of_Crota_location_1024x833.jpg

Each on of those icons represent a map, they are link together and you can travel between them without a loading screen. What you are loading is the planet, you enter an instance with no more than 30 players and sometimes, when you jump from one map the the other, you switch instance (believe me, because, with my friends, we tried to make a full 8 man party for Anchor Forge and we had to travel between map several times until the system put all of us together)

In any case, the size of the map is big enough, and to use instances is actually a very good idea because you are not overloading your console.

• Like Like x 1