Become a Freelancer!

Welcome to the number one community for Anthem players

Anthem: References to a Time and Place?

Discussion in 'General Discussion & Speculation' started by Carlo, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Carlo

Writer

image.jpeg
    Have you wondered if Anthem had any historical references to Earth's history. It has struck me that there seems to be a central thread that runs through Anthem, at least what little information we have to date. BioWare seems to have focused on a particular time and place in Earth's history as a reference point, whether this is important to the storyline is yet unclear. One thing that seems to be clear is the geographic location Asia Minor in particular, what is modern day Turkey.

Tarsus was an important city for trade and its centers of learning in the ancient world and fell under the rule of the great empires (Greek, Roman, Persian) in ancient history. Fort Tarsus takes on this importance of its name sake and the trappings of a Turkish bazar and ties it to the geographical location in Asia Minor (Turkey).

Colossus one of two named javelins in Anthem may take its name from one of the seven ancient wonders of the world, the Colossus of Rhodes. A Greek Island off the coast of Turkey and within the trade route of the city of Tarsus. Maintaining this geographical location and time period, or coincidence?

The Javelin and the Ranger (the other named Exosuit). The javelin is an ancient spear like weapon primarily for throwing or ranged weapon and different than a thrusting spear. The ancient empires (Greek, Roman, Persian) had skirmishers armed with javelins because of this range ability within their armies. Another reference to a place and time?

We even see this in the ruins in the wilds and in Fort Tarsus, this reference of the ancient versus the modern. The brickwork, railings, doors, arches, bridges and motifs of the ancient architecture has the feeling of Asia Minor not Europe. What is BioWare projecting with these references, if my speculation is correct. Is there some meaning to the location and time period or just an art design to capture our imagination. Could all this be part of a greater backstory than the desire to be different?

• Like Like x 1
    • Rykroft

Rykroft Active Member

Tying loose ends,? Well you are right in everything, it really seems like they have chosen a Turkish setting for the game, maybe because the colony ship who arrive to the planet was full of Turkish people, or maybe because the top officers in that ship were Turkish.
      Maybe we will see other colonies with different origins later in the game, or with expansions, I would love to see a Japanese related colony (with samurai like armour and weapons) and a British one (with the classic medieval setting)

• Like Like x 1
      • Carlo

Writer

Yes, trying to tie up lose ends on a few themes. Hope this isn't boring, trying to keep our heads in the game (not trying to funny here). Your concept of a colony ship would be a great way to introduce new lands, people, cultures, clothing and new javelins with those cultural styles. Not to mention lore.

• Rykroft

Rykroft Active Member

Colonisation is an usual topic when it comes to space expansion, I wouldn't be surprise if this would be the case. I could list a lot of sources like scientific novels, films and series, and I just hope that Drew Karpyshyn create a fantastic and well-told world.

• Carlo

Writer

"Fantastic and well-told world", yes please.